Thursday, November 24, 2011

Dragon's End.

(Contributed by Dorothy Hatto)

Anne McCaffrey ended a long and enormously successful life early Monday evening, November 21st, at her home in County Wicklow, Ireland. Surrounded by the reassuring presence of family and close friends, her passing was swift and without suffering. We, her children, are hugely comforted by the outpouring of sympathy flowing now from all over the world. Our mother’s talent was known to countless fans. Yet her greatest gift to us all has to have been her enormous heart. That she was able to touch so many with her tender and loving heart is the greatest source of pride we will forever enjoy. Words cannot express how grateful we are to the universe of her admirers, whose heartfelt condolences beguile us in our grief, which pales beside the joy we know Anne McCaffrey brought to so many people.
The family of Anne McCaffrey
Today, I found out that one of my idols has died:  Anne McCaffrey, author of the Dragonriders of Pern, the Pegasus series, Crystal Singers, Shellperson stories and many other series. 

I discovered my first McCaffrey book, The Ship Who Sang, about 30 years ago, and since then I have escaped to many different worlds of Anne McCaffrey. It really was an escape for me, because I could see myself living in those wonderful worlds.

At the time I discovered Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton was my favourite author. Anne slowly took over first place as I worked my way through all her various works. I believe I now have just about every book she wrote.  My favorite was the Pern series - I started in the middle with The White Dragon and worked my way out. Once I had all the Pern books and all the short stories, I finally read the series from P.E.R.N., the beginning story, to the last book, The Skies of Pern

I cried when Robinton and Zair died after moving the “Red Star.” They had become real people to me.  I have read the stories over and over, and find something new each time I read each story. 

I will miss looking for new books by Anne.  I dread the day that someone makes a Dragonriders of Pern movie, though I might buy the DVD just to pick it apart.  The reality will never come close to the world she created in my head.
- Dorothy 

1 comment:

  1. Nice posting - "ave atque vale" to Anne McCaffrey in her next stage of life!

    ReplyDelete